STATEMENTS OF PURPOSE
“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it” Proverbs 6:22
The Teachers’ Training Course of the New Alpha Academy is an extension of the Ministry of the Bombay Baptist Church. We are committed to training Christian teachers who are committed to extending God’s Kingdom into the lives of young children, through the field of education. Through Biblical principles, each teacher is personally equipped to teach primary and pre-primary children through a series of lectures, practical activities and assignments.
We believe that each child is a unique individual, made in the image of God, and deserves to be treated with respect and love. We also believe that God has a unique plan for each child. Since no two children are the same, teaching must reflect the fact that the classroom has children from diverse backgrounds, with different abilities and talents, as well as gifting.
The emphasis throughout the course is gaining a Perspective of education from the Bible, which would also translate into the practical reality of the Indian classroom. Besides this, those who complete the course could initiate/ support Sunday schools, Children’s Ministries, activity clubs and other related ministries of the church.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• To Built an awareness of the current scenario in India Education, an appreciation of the positive and negative points of our system, and an awareness of our role as “Salt and Light” in the system.
• To impart an awareness of the centrality of Christ in all education. True knowledge is knowledge of God. As the Bible says. “In Whom (Christ) are Hidden all the treasures of Wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 3:23
• To instill Biblical values in Teachers, which would practically transform the classroom.
• To impart practical skills in disciplining children, conducting drills, lesson planning, and creative teaching.
• To introduce innovations in subjects like phonics, language and mathematics.
• To enable teachers to develop a curriculum with Christian value in-built in each subject.
The following topics would be covered in the course:
- Kingdom of God in Education
- A Biblical View of Discipline
- A Biblical View of Children
- Child Development
- Seven Laws of Learning
- Lesson Planning
- Creative Teaching
- God’s heart for the poor
- Practical Games and Activities
- Dealing with children in difficult situations
- Teaching language
- Teaching Pre Primary Maths
- Primary Maths Concepts
- An Introduction to Phonics
- Practical Games and Activities
- Classroom decoration and Teaching Aids
- Types of Learners
- Multiple Intelligences
- Dealing with Special Needs
- Counselling for teachers
- Public Speaking Workshop
- Sunday School/giving the gospel to children
- Balwadis, need for pre primary education
LOCATION AND DURATION
The course is conducted on alternate Saturdays from 10:00am to 4:00pm, at Jasper hall, Bombay Baptist Church Building, Opp. Colaba Post Office, 175 Shahid Bhagatsingh Road, Mumbai 400005. The duration of the course is nine months, (from July to March)
Anyone can apply who has
• Completed their certificate of Higher Secondary education i.e. Standard XII
• Has a desire to work with pre-primary / primary children / or is already teaching/involved in children ministry
• Is a born-again Christian, and committed to the Church
To fully benefit from the course, it is compulsory that those who join, also work with children simultaneously. This involves some practical work with children for at least a class/assisting a teacher, attending a Sunday School, or street kids ministry or any other work with children.
Those already working as a teacher/or working with the children in some capacity are exempt from this requirement.
In addition to attending the lectures, there is a requirement to complete a certain number of assignments.
• Book Reviews students are asked to select books from the reading list and submit reviews on the same. A total of 8 books must be completed.
• Audio/video Reviews students are asked to listen to/watch certain lectures/videotapes demonstrations are write reviews on the same. A total of 16 are to be submitted.
• Teaching Aids students are required to make teaching aids for their classroom/field work. Details of these will be given.
• Bulletin Boards students are required to prepare materials to decorate one bulletin board, complete with pictures, title and borders.
Students are required to appear for a total of three practical demonstrations, which will be held at New Alpha Academy, Colaba.
At the end of the course theory examination and a class demonstration will be held.
At the end of the course, and on completion of all the course requirements, a certificate will be awarded to the trainees. The certificate does not ensure the guarantee of the job.
The total cost of the course for 2012-13 is Rs. 7000/- only. In addition students must pay for the photocopying of the notes, as well as their own materials for the assignments.
WHO ARE THE SPEAKERS?
A team of resource people under the able leadership of Smita Wilson. This course was designed by Debbie Rodrigues and Susanna santosh.
Note: This year (2017) TTC will be in Hindi and the cost is 5,000, min qualification is 10th Must be a committed Church member , Love for Children